AGENCIA ESTATAL CONSEJO SUPERIOR DE INVESTIGACIONES CIENTIFICAS (CSIC)
- Last Updated: 19 August 2013
Competences: The Instituto de Acuicultura de Torre de la Sal (IATS) and the Instituto de Ciencias Marinas de Andalucía (ICMAN) belong to CSIC, the largest multidisciplinary research organisation in Spain. IATS and ICMAN research is focused on basic and applied aspects of marine aquaculture, with permanent contact with the industry. Both centres have produced a significant body of knowledge on fish reproduction, larval development, nutrition and feeding, fish parasites and exploitation of natural resources for their use in aquaculture.
Material resources: IATS and ICMAN wet facilities allow the execution of ecotoxicology, growth, nutrition, reproduction, larval development and pathology studies in Mediterranean fish species. IATS has two full-equipped wet laboratories, four necropsy labs and four halls: a unit of reproduction and environmental manipulation; a pathology unit with quarantine tanks and experimental infection facilities; a feeding, nutrition and growth unit; and a live preys unit. The analytical laboratories of both centers are equipped with the most advanced analytical tools, which include general biochemistry and chromatography, microscopy, histology, molecular biology, radioisotopes and proteomics.
Role: IATS will be leader of WP1 and will participate in WP4 in the areas of nutrition, health and food safety and quality in close association with the University Jaume I of Castellón that will be subcontracted in task 4.5. ICMAN will participate in WP2 in microdiet design.
Key persons involved:
- Prof. Jaume Pérez-Sánchez is Director of IATS and head of the Fish Nutrition and Growth Endocrinology group. He has more than 25 years of experience in fish nutrition and endocrinology with more than 90 publications in SCI journals, has supervised 15 Ph.D. students, and has been the CSIC team leader in AQUAMAX, FORM, AQUAFIRST, PEPPA.
- Dr. Ariadna Sitjà-Bobadilla is the current Head of the Department of Marine Species Biology, Culture and Pathology of IATS. She has 20 years of research experience with more than 80 publications in SCI journals focused on marine fish parasitology, histopathology and immunology.
- Dr. Juan Carlos Navarro has more than 20 years of experience in the field of Aquaculture Research with more than 60 international research papers. Currently he is involved in the coordination of the teaching activities of IATS and is the IATS leader of AQUATNET EU network.
- Prof. Manuel Yúfera is Vicedirector of ICMAN with 32 years of experience in larval fish ontogeny, feeding, microdiet design and digestive physiology (PLEUROGENE, SEACASE, LARVANET).
- Dr. Gonzalo Martínez-Rodríguez is the current Head of Department of Marine Biology and Aquaculture of ICMAN with 20 years experience on molecular biology applied to aquaculture.